all about autumn

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Watch Dog

As I ran on the treadmill, I saw a silver car drive into the subdivision. (My view is great from the loft where my treadmill sits in front of the window) I saw it slow by the house out in front then make the turn. It then stayed the mailboxes up the street for a while. I was confused, I didn't recognize this car, what was it doing? It then proceeded towards our line of mailboxes (about four) I stepped off the treadmill to see if it was going to stop by ours too? It did. And I could see the individuals open every box. That was when I was put on alarm. What were they doing? Taking mail? I ran out the front door down to the mailboxes. I yelled, "hey, what do you need?" But the hurried on their way. I wasn't sure what to do? SO I called a neighbor, they said to call report it. SO I did.
A friendly officer came to my house to ask questions. I told him the man in the car got out at one time and was in a red shirt. The neighbor I had talked to told me that across the highway a friend suspected his mail to be stolen. Once I finished talking to the officer, I figured that was that but hoped they didn't take anything that wasn't theirs. About ten minutes later the cop called to say, "I found the car and . . . it was the mailman, his car was broken down so he and his wife were using her car to deliver mail. Okay so I didn't know whether to feel dumb or relieved.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Once AGAIN- I am laughing my head off- you are the neighborhood watch- that makes me laugh. We have a mail car in Laramie I was quite taken when I saw it delivering mail the first time- I love to listen to your stories!!!

Our Crazy Life said...

HA HA...that is great! I was all thinking...oh my goodness, you are so lucky for catching that mail theif...then I kept reading...WOW, that is funny! You really never know though, I would of done the same thing!

Gloria said...

It is always nice to have a good neighborhood watch on duty. It reminds me of Uncle Frank.

Kent said...

Better to feel foolish by reporting something you should report than to feel foolish because you saw something and then didn't do anything but watch.

Your story was worth a good chuckle though.