all about autumn

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Halloween time, it's our favorite!!

We have always loved halloween, I think it was Adam who started us down this path, he was so into costumes from a small age. We had Grandma Vance make some darling little people costumes. Adam was a pumpkin that everyone of my other children wore the costume to. And Batman, he was soooo into batman. I've not had any other child into one paticular thing like he was. I loved when Katee was a baby mummy (if only you could see the pictures we have, that was before we converted to digital, it's in a box somewhere) Last year we threw a party for Adam and his neighbor girly friend, who is like family. It was a boy-girl thing, so we split-up into boys and girls, they then had to get four items to the witches brew before the witch had them for stew! (that is another crazy thing I have done over the last three years, is write treasure stories, if anyone is interested in my stuff, let me know) It was sooo fun to see the halloweeners run around trying to beat each other to the brew. We even set up a halloween store that was haunted. Gary rigged it up good enough that we are thinking about doing it for the neighbors for money. I said to my children, "we can charge a dollar or four quarters." (I was hopeful that the neighbor kids wouldn't do the math) Anyhow. . . now we have started this twelve-year-old halloween party tradition, Aubree is anxious for her's. We told the children that they are done tricker-treat'n at the age of twelve. It's funny how I get the bug to a party every year. If any one has fun ideas and quirky costumes they know of, let me know.

6 comments:

Kent said...

I used to love halloween too. We rigged up witches in apple trees hooked up to the front door, and one year, we hooked a scarecrow up to the front door so that when you opened the door, the arms would come up. The last couple of years, we have just turned the lights off and gone to bed. Betty ain't interested in Halloween no more and it just ain't any fun.

I wish we lived closer to some of your generation!!

Andrea said...

You have the cutest kids EVER! :D

Larry said...

I thought my kids were the cutest ever!

Jeanette had fun with Halloween. I have not cared much for Halloween since I was a teenager. I saw the rotten side of what happened to people and the rotten things that were done. I heard stories about mean things that people did, and I just lost my interest in Halloween.

The kids liked the candy, but I think they sensed that it was not something I was excited to see them do. Jeanette made some cute costumes for our children when they were young.

Gloria said...

Oh I remember that 'batman'. It was a fun costume that lasted for a looong time!

Unknown said...

I really enjoy your experiences. Thank you for doing the blog. The kids grow up so fast that I can hardly keep up with them. I enjoyed them at the reunion.

Someone left a carved pumpkin on my door step. I put it on a counter and it was round on the bottom and fell off. I used toothpicks and put it back together again, but it will never be the same.

Kent said...

Adam, I think the most interesting costume I ever saw was a man who took the bottom out of a metal trash can. He stuffed a shirt and put a mask so that it looked like they were carrying the trash can. He made it look like he had been beheaded and his head was lying on the top of the garbage. It was really gruesome. He got a lot of attention from the girls.