all about autumn

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Founder's Day

Here in Wellsville they celebrate their beginnings on Labor Day. We start out with a Cannon that goes off at 5:30 in the morning. I remember the first year that we heard it burst into the air, we thought the end of the world was here. At seven, they host a 5K and a 10k run. Aubree and Katee joined the neighbor and ran the 5k. Then at 10 is the parade. They do real well with their floats and candy. (Candy is the most important for some) A sham battle is played out for their audience, a cowboy and Indian war. The Indians are painted with red dye and they all have long black hair. The contenders battle it out with fake blank shots and wrestling. Pure craziness. After the parade they have booths to visit at the park. Come 6:30 that evening their is a children's rodeo. Kids sign up to ride a sheep or a cow. It's hilarious to watch the kids fall off and then come crying to their parents like, "I can't believe you signed me up for this." Cheap entertainment, at the expense of the child. Ha. They have a critter run, where children under 6 run into the arena for an animal; a bunny, chicken, rooster, cat. Every now and then they have a goat. It's fun to watch them. They catch an animal that the parents don't want to have and the animal ends up going home. That's how we ended up with our bunny. A calf run for the women is also done. Women 18 and older run after the tails of calves for a two night stay at Sherwood hills. Pure craziness. Never did I think I would be involved in such fun events. It reminds me of Manassa on the 24th. I feel fortunate.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I love the events of small town USA! It reminds me of my childhood! It sounds like a good time was had by all!

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you have a good community to live in. It does sound like Manassa. I love going home for the 24. I love all of you.

Curtis Moser said...

You didn't relate the story of your ill-gotten rooster! I thought for sure I'd be reading about how you were packing your bags, and preparing the divorce decree if Gary brought it home. Hahahahaha!

Danette said...

I can't sound too much like a crazy lady. Bad things could happen. HAHA

Gloria said...

WHAT ROOSTER WAS THAT?

Danette said...

Curtis's boy caught a beautiful rooster that was black and white. First he caught a bunny then went back for more animals. After he carried it to his mom he said, "I got it for Gary." I immediately freaked and said, "It's NOT coming home with us or we will have divorce on our hands." HA But that shows you how serious I was.