all about autumn

Friday, January 23, 2009

Autograph?

Today I went to a second grade class to talk about writing stories. It was the highlight of my month, even though it took only a half and hour to give them my whole spill. They were good children. I spelled out PlOT and gave a description of what it meant by using each letter to the word. P was for people. We have to have people in our stories. I asked the class for names. (I couldn't hear or understand some of the names they said. I even had a few restate their suggestion and STILL couldn't understand. Maybe I listened to my music to loud as a kid, I should have listened to my mother.) I told them that's one thing I love about writing was naming my characters whatever I want without approval. (It's much easier than having to agree with a husband. I don't know maybe a publishing house will be like the husband and chose to change the brilliant names I come up with?) I told them about Airabell. I set out a picture of her I illustrated. A boy on the front roll said, "Why is her belly button hanging out." I had to tell him he would have to find out and listen. L was for lives we have to know about the lives of our people. I told them about Airabell loving to jump rope, but that's all she does. So her fuddy-dud story was suppose to have them see how important it is to have 'story problems' so something fun happen in the story. They listed off a few ideas, I told them let's say she broke her ankle and no longer could jump rope. O was for out-smart or overcome. This is where the character makes a change. We said Airabell learned how to play board games, which meant she had to play with others. T was 'the end' and this is where we 'take away' something from the story. We said Airabell learned to play with others with boardgames and she got a bigger rope so she could play with others doing double dutch. I then read my 'Sticky Gum' story. (Airabell enters the biggest bubble champanionship. There are lots of challenges she faces before the contest, like the sticky mess of sticking the gum on her belly button. (okay the story is about me mostly--But cute, If I say so myself.) At least the teacher laughed at it. I handed out gum and as I was about to leave a cute little girl asked, "can I have your autograph?" She had a tiny piece of paper with her pencil held out in my direction. I then ended up giving almost each kid an autograph. It was fun! Good thing I practice everyday by signing my children's homework. I did say, "If any of your parents are with publishing houses tell them about me." HaHa. I'll do anything, right!!! Ha. It made up for the rejection I got earlier this month.

4 comments:

Kent said...

Kids are wonderful! With innocence, they say exactly what's in their hearts.

I remember naming a character Ms. Phorthgreid. My college proffesor thought it was "quite original". I didn't know if that was good or bad.

I enjoy your posts.

Unknown said...

I enjoy your stories. You have a talent. I hope you get published.

Keep up the work. It will pay off in it's time. Love you.

Larry said...

It is amazing how children can look up in wonder at an adult that will share with them.

Gloria said...

Say I should of saved all those autographed papers from years past. You are just getting too famous! love ya.